San Francisco’s notoriously variable climate features sun, fog, rain, and cool breezes—sometimes all at once. (Yes, we get a lot of rainbows.) March is still the rainy season, so bring rain gear if you plan to explore outside the hotel. The average March high is 62, with a low of 49.
Whatever you are comfortable in; there is no need to dress up for the con. It’s wise to dress in layers, because hotel heating and cooling systems can’t always keep rooms at the temperature each individual finds ideal.
If you’re planning to explore San Francisco, bring comfortable shoes, a raincoat, and an umbrella. The hotel has both a gym and an outdoor heated swimming pool, so bring appropriate gear if you want to use them.
You will get a chance to deck yourself in your favorite garb—Worth ballgowns, steampunk Utilikilts, Browncoat finery, authentic Alpha Centauri tentacle jewelry—Friday night at the Lift-Off Party, AKA the Fabulous Finger Food Festival, AKA the free meal for FOGcon members. (You can also wear jeans and a t-shirt.) You may also want to bring special clothes for the private room parties.
In addition to clothes, medications, and toiletries, here's a list of some things you may find useful:
- Laptop, cell phone, camera, and whatever other electronics are essential to you
- Cables for any and all of these
- Possibly a small power strip for your room -- often useful
- A water bottle
- Umbrella, rain coat, and comfortable walking shoes for exploring San Francisco
- A sweater, blazer, or shawl for layering
- A bathing suit for the swimming pool
- Gym clothes for the gym
- Something fancy to wear to the Friday night Lift-Off Party
- A tote bag for all the freebies you'll pick up and all the new books you'll get signed by their authors